Sunday, June 4, 2017

Let me introduce myself....

I'm currently an Assistant Professor of Mathematics at University of Oregon, and also the owner of Mixed Metrics, LLC.

I earned a Ph.D in 2008 for University of Washington before accepting a job as instructor at Princeton. In 2011, I was promoted to Assistant Professor at Princeton.  In 2013 I returned to the Northwest with a tenure track position at University of Oregon.

My research began in nonlinear elliptic equation, but this led me to studying optimal transport and some related equations in economics, as well as other equations in geometric analysis.  At Princeton, I became interested in data science after sitting in a graduate course  and realizing that data science is built largely on geometric analysis.   I also became further interested in economics, partially because I was in the neighborhood of great economic minds (John Nash worked one floor up in Fine Hall for five years) and also as studying optimal transport problems led me into the economics literature.

I first became interested in cryptocurrency when I was an undergraduate.    As a ``discipline" for hacking the Residential Life computers, I was told to write a research report on issues in computer ethics.  I spent the summer of 1997 studying all of the theoretical dilemmas that the new information age now posed.  In the late 90's cryptocurrency was simply a crazy far off idea. So I was thrilled when I heard in 2012 that the idea of a currency had finely been realized.


No comments:

Post a Comment